Kuenzi Family Pet Hospital provides veterinary acupuncture. Acupuncture has many benefits for sick or injured pets, especially those with chronic conditions such as arthritis.
- Acupuncture can assist the body's efforts to heal itself. For example, acupuncture can stimulate nerves, increase blood circulation, relieve muscle spasms, and cause the release of hormones, such as endorphins (one of the body's pain control chemicals) or cortisol (a natural steroid).
- Acupuncture is the stimulation of specific points on the body to cause a desired healing effect. It is a means of helping the body heal itself. It is not a cure-all, but it works well to treat certain ailments. It can be used alone or in combination with traditional veterinary medicine.
- Acupuncture is used to treat musculoskelatal, skin, respiratory, gastrointestinal and reproductive problems.
- For small animals, the insertion of acupuncture needles is virtually painless and once the needles are in place, there should be no pain. Most pets relax and even fall asleep during the treatment.
- Stimulation of an individual acupuncture point may take as little as 10 seconds or as much as 30 minutes. A simple acute problem, such as a sprain, may require only one treatment, where a more severe or chronic ailment may need several or several dozen treatments.
- Acupuncture is one of the safest forms of medical treatment when it is administered by a properly trained veterinarian.
Call (262) 547-9370 for more information or to make an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions about Acupuncture
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture may be defined as the stimulation of a specific point on the body with a specific method, resulting in a therapeutic homeostatic effect.
Does my pet need acupuncture?
Clinical trials indicate that the acupuncture therapy can be effective in the following conditions:
- Musculoskeletal problems: muscle soreness, back pain, disc problems, osteoarthritis
- Neurological disorders: seizures, facial nerve paralysis
- Gastrointestinal disorders: diarrhea, colic, vomiting, constipation
- Other chronic conditions: asthma, cough, behavioral problems, Cushing’s diseases, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, renal failure, skin problems
- Performance enhancement and prevention of disease
How safe is acupuncture therapy?
Acupuncture is a very safe medical procedure when administered by a qualified practitioner. Very few side effects have been found in acupuncture cases.
How long does each treatment last?
Each session may take 30 to 60 minutes.